Thursday, February 25, 2016

In my therapy, I talk about my problems. Should I be talking about my values too?

I am a psychotherapist so this question has a lot of resonance for me.  If you are reading regularly, it is no surprise to you that I want to help people recognize what they value and live accordingly. But how do conversations about values fit into therapy when people usually come to talk about what is bothering them?  Put another way, where do therapists stand on the tension between focusing on problems and focusing on potential? 

I am not the first person to grapple with this tension.  For about 60 years, humanistic therapists have been focusing on helping people make sense of their experiences and find meaning in their lives.  Humanistic therapists help people construct meaning in ways that allow them to function better - they use the word “optimally.”  The positive psychology[1] movement of the last 15 or 20 years echoes this optimistic view of people and their resourcefulness.  Humanistic and positive psychologists put the emphasis on potential.  Values are a roadmap to your potential.  Cognitive and behavior therapies came to prominence about 30 years ago. They focus on helping people change unrealistic thoughts and problem behaviours[2].   These therapies focus more strongly on changing what is problematic; they have developed a solid research base.  Both approaches work.  

I have been using an approach called Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT).  Very briefly, the approach involves learning to accept difficult thoughts and feelings without over-reacting to them and committing to living according to your values.  You can see why I like it.  I also like ACT because it balances problems with potential.  If you are in therapy you might want to introduce values into the conversation.  If you have taken the VIA (see February 4 post)  and have focused on a couple of values that you would like to use to guide your life, this can be the basis for starting the conversation.  If you have not taken the VIA - but have been thinking about how you want your life to be more meaningful - I predict that your therapist will be very interested to hear what you are thinking. 





[1] The University of Pennsylvania has a website called Authentic Happiness where you can learn more about positive psychology https://www.authentichappiness.sas.upenn.edu/.

No comments:

Post a Comment