Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Values can mean a lot of different things. What do you mean by values?

You are right.  In day-to-day usage, the word value has different meanings.  It can describe things that we prize - she values her independence - or things that have worth to me - I value my collection of antique spoons.  The word value is also used to describe something that people generally agree is important and has merit such as the value of a good friend.   When I write about values here, what I am writing about is the idea of that a value is a personal quality of being, a way of behaving in the world that is based on something we find personally important.
  
 I stressed two concepts in the last sentence: behaving or action and personal choice.  According to this way of thinking about values, they are the guidelines for how I act.  If for example, I say that act with integrity.  That might mean being honest in my business dealings, or being fair with my students, or being trustworthy with my family and friends.  In other words, integrity is a quality that transcends the specifics of a situation and it guides my behaviour in different ways (e.g., honesty, trustworthiness, fairness).  These ideas are central to how psychologists who study values have defined them (Rokeach, 1973; Schwartz, 1994).  But values also need to be personal – we need to own them.  So I will behave with integrity  not just because my boss is watching, or my students will be impressed, or my father said this is the right way to be, but because this is who I am and who I aspire to be. When I look out at the world, my values guide how I see it.

Psychologists who practice psychotherapy using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT: https://contextualscience.org/https://contextualscience.org/) regularly work with values in therapy sessions.  The ACT framework uses this idea of values as desired qualities of being.  It also distinguishes values from goals.  That is because goals can be achieved but a value is always a work in progress.  So, to go back to the example of the value to live with integrity, I can keep a promise that I made or tell a difficult truth and those are actions in support of my values.  But doing them does not mean that I have “achieved” integrity.  The value remains as a constant - bigger than a single instance or even a week or a decade of instances. 

References
Rokeach, M. (1973). The nature of human values. New York: Free Press.

Schwartz, S. H. (1994). Are there universal aspects in the structure and contents of human values? Journal of Social Issues, 50(4), 19-45. doi:10.1111/j.1540-4560.1994.tb01196.x


1 comment:

  1. What about values as a means of interaction? A method or a process of communication and behaviours that lead to a goal?

    ReplyDelete